Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Throat Angle: 802-8D

  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member nullspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All --

    I swear I've looked around and haven't been able to find out what is the throat angle for the 802-8D or any of the 1" exit Altec compression drivers.

    Anyone care to help me out?

    Regards,
    John

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Do you mean the angle of horizintal and/or vertical expansion of the horn throat for the 1" Altec drivers?

    If so, it depends on the horn...

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Assuming you mean the internal WG, it's around 9 deg included if I did the math right.

    GM

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member nullspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks GM. Yes, I was asking about the internal WG. I appreciate the help.

    Regards,
    John

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The internal path of the small format drivers is a conical (straight sided) flare. The exact included angle varies with the depth of the driver, as they all seem to have the same diameter at the point the phasing plug slits merge and the same 1" exit diameter. Nine degrees sounds right for the 802, and more like 10 or 10.5 degrees for the shorter 804 and 806.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting! Good to know, thanks! I never noticed the 804/806 had a shorter WG. This explains why their sonic differences to the 802 are more than I could attribute to the smaller motor alone, but never had enough interest to delve deeper into the subject.

  7. #7
    Junior Hostboard Member nullspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2006
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Steve; very informative.

    On another topic, I've been seeing pictures around of the custom installation Cogent did with Josh Stippich. Very, VERY nice stuff. Congratulations on such a nice project.

    Regards,
    John

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.